Recipe by Suke_UK
Found at the back of a store cupboard, a friend brought this to a barbie where it was enjoyed by all. I had to try the recipe and this has to be one of the nicest chutneys I’ve ever made. Give it a go and I’m sure you be making it time and time again.
- 2 lbs tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 pint malt vinegar
- 1 lb sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon English mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chopped tomatoes and onion in a large dish or colander and cover with salt. Leave for a few hours to drain off the liquid.
- Put the tomatoes and onions in a saucepan and add three quarters of the malt vinegar and boil for five minutes. Stir in the sugar.
- Meanwhile blend the flour, mustard powder, curry power and cayenne pepper, if using, into a smooth paste with the remaining malt vinegar.
- Add the paste to the pan and simmer gently for one to one and a half hours. To test whether the chutney has reached the required consistency, draw a wooden spoon through the mixture: it should leave a clean path with no free liquid showing.
- Decant into warm jars.
- The finished chutney mellows with keeping and should be kept for at least 6-8 weeks before eating.