Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Seriously delicious muffin. It's like getting all of your antioxidants in one place! Non-dairy, low calorie, and super-healthy, this recipe came from Veggie Life Magazine
- 158.51 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 158.51 ml unbleached white flour
- 158.51 ml wheat germ
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 large blood oranges (any type of orange citrus fruit may be used, though the blood oranges make for nice visual contrast)
- 158.51 ml sweet potato puree
- 236.59 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 78.07 ml canola oil (or substitute applesauce to further reduce the fat)
- 29.58 ml raw sugar (optional, can substitute cinnamon sugar or anything else you desire. Equally delicious left off enti)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly spray or oil standard 12-muffin tin, or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Grate zest from oranges; set aside. Peel pith from oranges, then separate into sections. Cut 2/3 of the sections across the segment into half-inch pieces; set aside.
- Add remaining orange sections to a food processor, along with sweet potato puree, brown sugar, egg, oil (apple sauce) and zest. Process until smooth.
- Stir wet mixture into dry mixture. Fold in chopped orange sections.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with 1/2 teaspoon of the coarse sugar (or desired sugar topping) and bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin come out clean.