1/1 Photo of Red Sunset Muffins
Seriously delicious muffin. It's like getting all of your antioxidants in one place! Non-dairy, low calorie, and super-healthy, this recipe came from Veggie Life Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup unbleached white flour
- 2/3 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large blood oranges (any type of orange citrus fruit may be used, though the blood oranges make for nice visual contrast)
- 2/3 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or substitute applesauce to further reduce the fat)
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar (optional, can substitute cinnamon sugar or anything else you desire. Equally delicious left off enti)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly spray or oil standard 12-muffin tin, or line with paper liners.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- 3Grate zest from oranges; set aside. Peel pith from oranges, then separate into sections. Cut 2/3 of the sections across the segment into half-inch pieces; set aside.
- 4Add remaining orange sections to a food processor, along with sweet potato puree, brown sugar, egg, oil (apple sauce) and zest. Process until smooth.
- 5Stir wet mixture into dry mixture. Fold in chopped orange sections.
- 6Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with 1/2 teaspoon of the coarse sugar (or desired sugar topping) and bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin come out clean.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Sunset Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.5
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 189.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 23.4 g
- Protein 4.2 g