Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from the breakfast menu of the Red Star Tavern & Roast House in Portland, Oregon, as published in the Houston Chronicle.
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 16 ounces creamed corn (or 12 ounces creamed corn and 8 ounces fresh)
- 6 ounces white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces finely ground cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 ounces sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix eggs, butter, milk, sour cream, corn and cheese well.
- Add cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda; whisk until combined.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Heat a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in oven until quite hot, 10 to 15 minutes.
- When hot, oil pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into hot pan.
- Fill about three-fourths full.
- Bake until golden brown on top, about 25 minutes.
- Corn bread will still seem wet or moist, but will be somewhat firm to the touch.
- Let cool in pan; the residual heat will finish cooking corn bread.
- To serve, reheat cooled corn bread in its pan.
- When hot, loosen from edge of a pan with a butter knife and turn out onto a warm plate.
- Drizzle generously with honey.