This recipe is from the breakfast menu of the Red Star Tavern & Roast House in Portland, Oregon, as published in the Houston Chronicle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 16 ounces creamed corn (or 12 ounces creamed corn and 8 ounces fresh)
- 6 ounces white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces finely ground cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 ounces sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1Mix eggs, butter, milk, sour cream, corn and cheese well.
- 2Add cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda; whisk until combined.
- 3Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- 4Heat a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in oven until quite hot, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5When hot, oil pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 6Pour batter into hot pan.
- 7Fill about three-fourths full.
- 8Bake until golden brown on top, about 25 minutes.
- 9Corn bread will still seem wet or moist, but will be somewhat firm to the touch.
- 10Let cool in pan; the residual heat will finish cooking corn bread.
- 11To serve, reheat cooled corn bread in its pan.
- 12When hot, loosen from edge of a pan with a butter knife and turn out onto a warm plate.
- 13Drizzle generously with honey.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Star Tavern Moist and Rich Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.0
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 112.8 mg
- Sodium 851.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 14.6 g