Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
An earthy flavored soup for a chilly autumn night. Serve with hot bread or rolls. A pretty red color. I use nonfat milk and yogurt for health reasons, but can be made with whole milk. This can be made through step 2 and refrigerated or frozen for future use. Thaw and proceed with step 3. The servings listed is for a large bowl, as the only item served. If making for a soup course (smaller servings) I would cut recipe in half.
- 6 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped (no need to peel)
- 2 beets, peeled and chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 leeks, rinsed and chopped (white parts, and some green)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 6 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Place all ingredients (except milk, curry powder and yogurt) in a large soup pot. Cook 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Puree vegetables and broth, in batches, in a blender. (Leave some chunks in one batch).
- Return to pan and add milk and curry powder. Simmer until heated through.
- Ladle into six bowls and top each with a tablespoon of yogurt for garnish.
Wow, this was incredible. Took over an hour to chop everything, but that was with a 3-year-old and a 6-year-old "helping". I did add a bit of salt in addition to using regular-sodium vegetable broth, and topped with sour cream and pepper. Immersion blender was a dream for this. Kids hated it, but we'll still be making it again, it was SO good. Served it with the beet greens sauteed and whole wheat rolls.
What a beautiful healthy soup! This does take awhile to make, but is totally worth it. After adding the curry, I gave it a taste and threw in some additional salt... more curry might have done the trick but I was afraid it would get too spicy for DS. Makes a great big pot with very few calories - that's my kinda meal! I'd make this again!
Made this great tasting soup pretty much as given, but I did substitute a homemade vegetable broth for the chicken kind (keeping my family's vegetarians in mind)! I was particularly impressed with the flavor combo (beets, carrots, potatoes) & another time I might just use a large russet along with a sweet potato ~ Love those veggies! Thanks for a great soup! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]