Recipe by Sharon123
Rooibos tea is grown in the Western Cape and many coffee shops sell rooibos tea. Red Chai is a great rooibos chai recipe from The Tea Spot. It's also the winner of the October, 2010 About.com Monthly Tea Recipe Contest. Caffeine-free rooibos is a natural fit for masala chai spices and the spices are very clear, thanks to an overnight soaking, and the flavor of the tea to the spices is well balanced.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons fresh cardamom pods, crushed (or 1 tsp ground cardamom)
- 7 -9 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup red rooibos tea leaves
- 1⁄4 cup honey ((4 tbsp or 4 oz-start with 1 tbsp honey and add more to taste)
- 2 cups milk (I use almond, soy, or rice milk)
Directions See How It's Made
- Steep(marinate) spices in 8 oz(1 cup) boiling water that's been taken off the heat. Marinate overnight in fridge. Strain out spices from marinade.
- Steep rooibos tea leaves in 2 cups boiling water for 6 minutes. Strain out leaves.
- Add honey and strained steeped spice mix to Rooibos tea.
- Heat milk to just below boil.
- Combine with tea/steeped spice mix.
- Serve immediately.