1/2 Photos of Red River Pumpernickel Bread
2 hrs 10 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
In Germany this bread would be called black bread (schwartzbrot). The recipe comes from KLM Airlines. I clipped it out of the paper many years ago. It's really easy to make and very healthy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In your 2 cup measure, measure the 1/2 cup molasses and pour it into the beater bowl.
- 2Now in the same measuring cup (to rinse out the molasses) measure the almost boiling water and add it.
- 3Mix together the red River Cereal, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt and add them to the molasses mixture.
- 4Beat hard for 2 minutes.
- 5Cover very well and let stand 2 hours or overnight. No need to refrigerate.
- 6Grease, paper line and butter a 9 x 5 x 3" loag pan.
- 7Turn in batter and smooth top.
- 8Bake at 275 F for 1 hour then reduce temperature to 250 F for 1 more hour (2 hours total).
- 9During last hour slide a foil oven protector below to be sure it doesn't overbrown.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red River Pumpernickel Bread
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 56.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 308.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: