Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
In Germany this bread would be called black bread (schwartzbrot). The recipe comes from KLM Airlines. I clipped it out of the paper many years ago. It's really easy to make and very healthy.
Top Review by mollypaul
Delicious flavor. I believe that the next time we make this, we'll use brewed coffee as part of the liquid to increase the depth of flavor a little. We used Hodgson's Mill Mixed Whole Grain cereal and Brer Rabbit Mild Molasses.
- 1⁄2 cup molasses (or malt extract)
- 3 cups hot water (just below boiling point)
- 3 cups four-grain cereal (I used Red River Cereal which has 3 grains)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In your 2 cup measure, measure the 1/2 cup molasses and pour it into the beater bowl.
- Now in the same measuring cup (to rinse out the molasses) measure the almost boiling water and add it.
- Mix together the red River Cereal, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt and add them to the molasses mixture.
- Beat hard for 2 minutes.
- Cover very well and let stand 2 hours or overnight. No need to refrigerate.
- Grease, paper line and butter a 9 x 5 x 3" loag pan.
- Turn in batter and smooth top.
- Bake at 275 F for 1 hour then reduce temperature to 250 F for 1 more hour (2 hours total).
- During last hour slide a foil oven protector below to be sure it doesn't overbrown.