In Germany this bread would be called black bread (schwartzbrot). The recipe comes from KLM Airlines. I clipped it out of the paper many years ago. It's really easy to make and very healthy.
- In your 2 cup measure, measure the 1/2 cup molasses and pour it into the beater bowl.
- Now in the same measuring cup (to rinse out the molasses) measure the almost boiling water and add it.
- Mix together the red River Cereal, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt and add them to the molasses mixture.
- Beat hard for 2 minutes.
- Cover very well and let stand 2 hours or overnight. No need to refrigerate.
- Grease, paper line and butter a 9 x 5 x 3" loag pan.
- Turn in batter and smooth top.
- Bake at 275 F for 1 hour then reduce temperature to 250 F for 1 more hour (2 hours total).
- During last hour slide a foil oven protector below to be sure it doesn't overbrown.