Recipe by cuisinebymae
This is from the makers of Red River Cereal. A healthy muffin that is a bit different. I started making these because I needed to get rid of a box of Red River Cereal (don't like it)-good in these!
Top Review by Sharon123
I made these muffins using grapenut cereal instead of Red River. I added flax seed to the mix. I used raisins and dried cherries. I really enjoyed the taste, texture, and look of these muffins. Thanks!
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup red river cereal
- 3⁄4 cup natural bran
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups sour milk
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins, chopped dates or 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine Red River Cereal and bran.
- Pour boiling water on it.
- Stir to combine and let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Stir in eggs.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Stir in bran mixture.
- Stir in oats and raisins.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Fill greased muffin cups almost full.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-24 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from pan and cool on a rack.