Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 mins
This is from the makers of Red River Cereal. A healthy muffin that is a bit different. I started making these because I needed to get rid of a box of Red River Cereal (don't like it)-good in these!
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup red river cereal
- 3⁄4 cup natural bran
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups sour milk
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins, chopped dates or 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine Red River Cereal and bran.
- Pour boiling water on it.
- Stir to combine and let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Stir in eggs.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Stir in bran mixture.
- Stir in oats and raisins.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Fill greased muffin cups almost full.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-24 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
I made these muffins using grapenut cereal instead of Red River. I added flax seed to the mix. I used raisins and dried cherries. I really enjoyed the taste, texture, and look of these muffins. Thanks!
these were tasty, i used spelt flour and added a little vanilla and used brown sugar. i soaked the raisons with the cereal and bran to reconstitute them (adding a little more water). the cereal was still quite raw in the finished product and that was ok but maybe even more water was needed (i actually soaked it overnight so i know it was long enough). next time i'll cook them at 350 instead. mine were done at exactly 18 min but a little overdone on the edges. but over all a super yummy muffin, i loved the oats in them, and a nice way to use up red river. thanks
I used Sunny Boy cereal which is very similar to Red River cereal but has flax seed in it. I used 3/4 c sugar and 3/4 c Splenda and blended the oats with the flour, sugar, Splenda and baking soda and salt. Used oil like other reviewers which I blended with the milk and egg and made a well in the dry ingredients and mixed in the soaked cereal and wet ingredients. Used 2 cups of dried cranberries which I mixed in last. Next time I will try these with applesauce instead of the oil. These were very nice and I will make them again!