Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love risotto, and while most recipes call for white wine, I found myself without any on hand one night and substiuted red. I also threw in some dense chianti salami and marinated artichokes and some port salut cheese. It was a hit at my table.
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (i used chianti)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup sliced shallot
- 1 cup salami (i used trader joe's chianti salami)
- 1⁄2 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- 1⁄2 cup port du salut cheese (cubed)
- Saute sliced garlic cloves, shallots and arborio rice in olive oil on medium heat until the rice begins to become translucent and the garlic and shallots soft -- about seven minutes.
- Add the red wine and stir, allowing the rice to absorb most of the wine.
- Begin adding stock 1 cup at a time, stirring and allowing the rice to absorb the liquid before adding more stock.
- Add sliced salami (it's important to use a rather dense, rustic salami since it will soften from the heat).
- Add artichoke hearts and white pepper.
- Just before serving, stir in port salut (or another soft, mild cheese if not available).