Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from, "The Ultimate Gullah", cookbook.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs hot smoked sausage, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups parboiled rice
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add the sausage pieces and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, green peppers, and celery. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the water, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook covered, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered until time to serve.
- NOTE: I sliced my sausage into 1/4 inch slices and used 1 pound of sausage.
This was absolutely delicious. I added some paprika and it was just as good as my grandmother's!
Lovely tasty meal. I also added some cayenne and paprika and it had a lovely colour and flavour. Thanks mightyro for another lovely recipe!
This is very good! I added some garlic and a little cayenne, and used Italian sausage. It smells wonderful!