- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs hot smoked sausage, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups parboiled rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add the sausage pieces and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, green peppers, and celery. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the water, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook covered, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered until time to serve.
- NOTE: I sliced my sausage into 1/4 inch slices and used 1 pound of sausage.