Recipe by Rio Shitaki
I found this on the lcbo site, and modified it a little to make it less fattening ^.-- ssh! In the original recipe, it was red wine vinegar, but since I didn't have any, I used balsamic vinegar. So either one works. The red rice tastes a lot like popcorn, it's quite an interesting taste! This recipe makes 6-8 servings ^_^ Enjoy! OH! and if you wish to use it as a main dish, add low-fat meatballs on top.
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups red rice
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar or 3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2-1 cucumber, diced
- coriander, to taste (optional)
- basil (optional)
- oregano (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Sprinkle in rice and bring back to boil. Cover rice, reduce heat to low and steam for 35 to 45 minutes or until rice is tender but slightly chewy and water has been absorbed. Remove from heat but keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Toss half of vinegar with rice and let cool.
- When rice has cooled, combine it with green onions, cucumber, and herbs if used. Toss with remaining dressing.
- Serve cold or warm (personally, I prefer warm).