Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 9 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- Cook bacon slices in a big skillet over med-high heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels; reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in the skillet; crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute chopped onion in hot bacon drippings over med-high heat for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomato paste to skillet, stirring until mixture is smooth; gradually add in chicken broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet.
- Stir in sugar, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil; decrease heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Stir rice into tomato mixture; bring to a boil.
- Stir in bacon pieces; pour mixture into a lightly greased ovenproof Dutch oven; bake, covered, at 350° for 1 hour or until rice is tender.