Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mother in law got very creative with dinner ideas when money was tight. This is one of those recipes that we still enjoy! I like to serve the dish with sweet corn bread.
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato soup
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook the rice according to package.
- Cook bacon in another skillet, pat dry and break into pieces.
- When rice is done add Tomato soup, cheese and chopped up bacon.
- Add bacon grease to flavor.
- Stir and Serve.
The rice did have a good flavor and vegetables or pieces of meat would be nice in this also. When I made this I was not sure what to do with the two cups of water in the inredients but not listed in the directions. I cooked the rice according to the directions of the package and I added 4 cups of water. Adding the two cups of water with the tomato soup, bacon, and cheese didnt seem right as the rice was already cooked and getting a little mushy. I used turkey bacon and enjoyed the smokey flavor in the rice. Thank you for sharing the recipe Newly Mrs. Johnson. I will try this again at a later date. Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef Spring 2009.