Prep 1 min
Cook 20 mins
Yummy companion to any dish. Adds color and flavor to plain ole' rice.
- 1 (4 ounce) bag boil-in-the-bag rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tomato-flavored bouillon cube (can be found in the Mexican section of grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Add oil to small saucepan and heat.
- Add rice and brown.
- When browned evenly (about 5-7 minutes) crumble bouillon cube into pan and stir to mix.
- Once mixed add can of chicken broth and cover tightly till rice is tender (about 10-15 minutes).
I've been looking for a recipe like this for a LONG time. This is a perfect side dish to Southwest/TexMex/Mexican type meals but tonight we had it with grilled pork chops. I didn't use the boil-in-the-bag rice, I used 1 cup of Uncle Ben's, 2 C. water with 2 chicken boullion cubes (in place of the can of chicken broth) and the tomato flavored boullion cube Crawfish includes in the recipe. It was great! Thanks Crawfish Pie for the terrific recipe and for turning me on to the Mexican tomato-flavored boullion cubes, I'll be using them in a lot more dishes!
This was a great starter recipe, but rather bland overall. So I added salsa seasonings to it and some cilantro. I also added a touch extra salt and some bacon crumblings. Great starter though. Thanks.