Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I came up with to make a perfect red pepper jelly. It uses Cranberry juice cocktail for the first Red and red hot peppers for the other red. I decided to strain out the peppers and measure the remaining juice to get a nice clear well jelled end result. But feel free to allow the pepper peices to remain if you wish. I would chop them up alot more if I planned on leaving them in, JMHO Some recipes call for a drop of red food color to be added. So if you want that 3rd red go for it. I just happen to like the delicate red of the au naturale.
- 1 cup red hot peppers, mixed varieties or 1 cup jalapeno, if that is what you have
- 1 cup vinegar
- 3 cups cranberry juice, wo any sugar added
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package liquid pectin
- Wash, half and deseed hot peppers. Roughly chop to measure out about 1 cup. If you really want it hot, allow a few seeds to go in with the peppers.
- Place peppers, vinegar and juice in large flat soup pot. Allow to boil for about 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Pour liquid thru a strainer and measure out 2 cups of liquid. If you have more than 2 cups of liquid then you can return it all to the heat and boil for a bit longer. Too little can be adjusted by just adding enough cranberry juice to bring it back up to 2 cups.
- Put liquid back in pot and add sugar. Bring mixture to a rolling boil and allow to boil for a good minute or so. Add pectin and allow that to boil for 1 full minute also.
- Ladle into clean sterilized 1/2 pint jars. Process in water bath canner or just store in frig til used.