Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Cooking Light (June 2005)
- 2 red bell peppers (see note in instructions)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes.
- Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand.
- Broil 10 minutes or until blackened.
- Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Peel and chop.
- Place bell peppers and remaining ingredients in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- *You may also use 1 1/2 cups jarred roasted red peppers instead of roasting your own.
This was OK. It needed a bit more salt and red pepper than the recipie called for. Even with those additions, I still found it pretty bland, but eatable.