2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This red raspberry pie has been the signature dessert for many years at the Pines Tavern in Gibsonia, Pa. Note: The dough for the pie crust has to chill for an hour and this is not included in prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into pieces
- 6 tablespoons ice water
Red Raspberry Filling
- 40 ounces frozen raspberries (if using frozen, do not thaw, knock off any excess ice crystals, if any) or 40 ounces fresh red raspberries (if using frozen, do not thaw, knock off any excess ice crystals, if any)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fine dry tapioca
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
Vanilla Custard Sauce
- 1For crust, blend flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in food processor.
- 2Add shortening and butter and cut in, using pastry blender or turning food processor on and off until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 3Blend in enough ice water to form moist clumps.
- 4Gather dough in a ball.
- 5Divide in half.
- 6Flatten each piece into a disk.
- 7Wrap in plastic wrap; chill for an hour before rolling out.
- 8For filling, mix all ingredients very well.
- 9Roll out bottom crust and fit into a 9-inch pie pan.
- 10Place raspberry filling on top (it seems like a lot, but play with it and pile those berries in there).
- 11Cover with top crust.
- 12Cut small slash in top to vent steam.
- 13Place pie on cookie sheet.
- 14Bake at 350 degrees until top is golden brown and juices bubble, about 1 hour.
- 15For sauce, in top of a double boiler, slightly beat egg.
- 16Mix in sugar and flour, then gradually stir in milk.
- 17Cook over simmering water until mixture is slightly thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 18Cool to room temperature, then add vanilla and salt.
- 20This makes 2 1/2 cups of sauce.
- 21Serve sauce with pie.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Raspberry Pie With Vanilla Custard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 612.0
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 49.8 mg
- Sodium 210.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 65.3 g
- Protein 6.5 g