Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I love Quinoa. Its a wonderful grain and so healthy for you. You could use the light coloured Quinoa in this recipe if you don't have the red. For this recipe I bought a box of Quinoa and it was already cleaned, but if you buy Quinoa in bulk make sure you rinse it at least 4 times in cool water before cooking it. To save time, I put the Quinoa in the tall plastic cup of my hand blender and whiz it around until it released the soapy outer coating that is on the grain. I would rinse it again in cool water to make sure it was clean. It is essential this be done because it will taste bitter. Follow the directions on the box as to how to cook your Quinoa. If you buy it in bulk, then just put your Quinoa in two cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. You can substitute the water with veggie or chicken broth also. It will give the grain a hardier flavor. I won't include the time to cook the Quinoa in my cooking time below. I think next time I make this I will add an egg or a package of vegan gelatin as I found this a bit crumbly.
- 1 cup red quinoa (cooked and packed tightly in the measuring cup)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (you can toast these if you like)
- 1 green onion (minced)
- 3 tablespoons smooth cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sage (dried)
- 3 teaspoons thyme (dried)
Directions See How It's Made
- Once the Quinoa is cooked, mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Oil a loaf pan and fill with the mixture. Bake in a 375'F oven for about 35-40 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Suggestion: Use parchment paper on the top and bottom of the loaf to eliminate a hard crust from forming.
- Allow to cool and slice.
- Bon Appetit!