Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is posted for the World Tour 2005 event. The source is F. Marian McNeill's The Scots Kitchen. It is a lovely, unusual bean soup. Note - the beans should be soaked overnight before starting this recipe. It can be modified for the pressure cooker.
- Soak the beans overnight in water to cover. Drain well.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, add beans and vegetables. Saute gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock (or water) and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, skimming if necessary. Simmer at least 3 hours, or until the beans are mushy.
- Remove and discard any portions of the beet slices, and pass the mixture through a sieve, to make a smooth textured soup.
- Serve hot, garnished with mint.
This was astonishingly good! I guess the secret is the saut?ing in butter before adding the stock. I used beef stock for this. Actually I was a bit skeptical about the mint for serving, but it turned out excellent. Really interesting, tasty soup which I will make again. Thanks lovely for sharing :)
Made for ZWT 8 / Family Picks for the Lively Lemon Lovelies