3 hrs 15 mins
This is posted for the World Tour 2005 event. The source is F. Marian McNeill's The Scots Kitchen. It is a lovely, unusual bean soup. Note - the beans should be soaked overnight before starting this recipe. It can be modified for the pressure cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the beans overnight in water to cover. Drain well.
- 2Melt butter in a large saucepan, add beans and vegetables. Saute gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add stock (or water) and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, skimming if necessary. Simmer at least 3 hours, or until the beans are mushy.
- 4Remove and discard any portions of the beet slices, and pass the mixture through a sieve, to make a smooth textured soup.
- 5Serve hot, garnished with mint.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Pottage
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.5
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 54.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: