Recipe by Rita~
The fish is crusted with thinly sliced crisp potatoes. Use a mandolin to get the potatoes paper thin.
Top Review by Chef Kate
I followed the recipe exactly--and then I did one other thing--I deglazed the pan with a little white wine which made just a bit of sauce. And, because my fish was rather thin, I par-boiled the mandoline-sliced potatoes for just a moment. Absolutely delicious!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb catfish (3 filets) or 1 lb tilapia fillet, washed and dried (3 filets)
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large red potatoes, sliced into 1/8 inch rounds so you can almost see th them
- 2 -3 teaspoons butter, plus
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil, to cover bottom of pan
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix basil, paprika, garlic salt, pepper and rub into filets.
- Brush fish with egg then place 6 slices of potato to cover fish.
- Heat oil and butter in pan.
- Gentle place potato side down in hot pan and do not move.
- Place on top side six more slices of potato.
- Cook till you see the edges are browning and the filtes move easily about 4-5 minutes.
- Ever so carefully flip fish away from you.
- Trying to keep the potatoes in place.
- Fry for 4 more minutes.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve hot seasoned with salt,lemon juice and garnish with lemon slices.
- OPTIONAL --
- Pan fry the one side then place the oven proof pan under the broiler to finish cooking and browning the top side.
- So you don`t have to flip.
- Just keep an eye not to burn it.