Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another old time family favourite, A little hot for my taste, but DH and DS, love it. I make this each year when I have an abundance of plums, and it never fails.
- 1 kg plum
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 4 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sultana
- Halve and stone plums and crush the garlic and put into a pan with the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 50 minutes, or until the fruit is very soft and has really flavoured the vinegar.
- Sieve the sauce and pour into hot sterilized bottles and seal.
- N.B. Make sure bottles are well sterilized before filling and when cold a vacumn seal has formed.
I cut this recipe in half, since I wasn't sure how much I'd like it & now wish I'd made the whole thing! Ah, well, another time! I did cut back on the cayenne pepper & mustard seeds, using a rounded 1/2 measure for each of them! Definitely must find myself a source for home-grown plums, 'cause this is GREAT TASTING PLUM SAUCE! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Make My Recipe cooking game]