Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a thick, velvety sauce that serves as comfort food for me. I like it with linguini, although its texture would go well with a pasta that with more spaces such as rigatoni or fusilli.
- 1 lb pasta
- 3 large red bell peppers, sliced in thin rings
- fresh hot pepper, sliced in thin rings (optional)
- olive oil
- 7 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup full bodied red wine
- asiago cheese
- Set water to boil for pasta.
- Put a thin layer of olive oil in a large skillet and put over medium heat.
- Add the peppers and salt to taste. Let cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic and allow to cook for about three more minutes.
- Tasty optional additions include any herb desired, any citrus juice, or a carrot (thinly sliced or grated).
- Add half of the wine and enough olive oil to cover the vegetables. Once this reaches a simmer, keep it simmering for about 10 minutes.
- Put the pasta in the water.
- Add remaining wine to the sauce and remove from heat.
- Puree the sauce in a food processor or blender. Add olive oil if it seems too thick. This is a rich sauce, so don't be shy with the oil.
- Drain pasta when done and top with sauce.
- Serve with fresh grated asiago cheese.