5 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Toby Jermain's Note:
A pleasant change from pickle relish, though the taste is quite similar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 large red bell peppers, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 8 -10 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced (plum)
- 2 -3 large onions, chopped
- 6 -8 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 -3 serrano peppers or 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 1 -1 1/4 cup sugar (start with 1 cup, add additional to taste after initial simmering, Amount of sugar can be adjusted t) (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, lightly crushed
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1Mix red pepper, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chiles and salt in large bowl.
- 2Allow to stand 3 hours.
- 3Drain thoroughly, but do not rinse.
- 4Combine remaining ingredients in large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 5Let boil 10 minutes.
- 6Reduce heat to medium, stir in pepper mixture, and cook until peppers are translucent but still crunchy, about 30-45 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat, and allow to cool until just warm.
- 8Continue with processing, or if desired, place in medium bowl, and refrigerate overnight for flavors to develop; then continue with processing.
- 9At this point, most of the relish should be transferred to jars and canned in a hot-water bath or should be transferred to zip-top freezer bags and frozen.
- 10Some can be refrigerated for use within 2-3 weeks.
- 11To can, return relish to a low boil, pour into clean, hot 1-pint jar to within 1/2 of the top.
- 12Run a plastic knife or spatula between relish and jar to release any air bubbles.
- 13Clean rim and threads of the jar with damp cloth.
- 14Seal with a new, scalded, very hot lid, and a threaded ring.
- 15Repeat with remaining jars.
- 16Transfer to gently simmering (200-210 degrees F) water bath, bring to a boil, and process for 15 minutes.
- 17Remove jars from ater bath, turn upside down on a rack or kitchen towel, and let cool completely.
- 18Test for seal.
- 19Store in cool dry place until ready to use.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Pepper Relish
Serving Size: 1 (2811 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.3
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4469.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 59.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g