Prep 4 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A pleasant change from pickle relish, though the taste is quite similar.
Make and share this Red Pepper Relish recipe from Food.com.
- 6 -8 large red bell peppers, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 8 -10 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced (plum)
- 2 -3 large onions, chopped
- 6 -8 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 -3 serrano peppers or 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup sugar (start with 1 cup, add additional to taste after initial simmering, Amount of sugar can be adjusted t) (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, lightly crushed
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- Mix red pepper, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chiles and salt in large bowl.
- Allow to stand 3 hours.
- Drain thoroughly, but do not rinse.
- Combine remaining ingredients in large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Let boil 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in pepper mixture, and cook until peppers are translucent but still crunchy, about 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool until just warm.
- Continue with processing, or if desired, place in medium bowl, and refrigerate overnight for flavors to develop; then continue with processing.
- At this point, most of the relish should be transferred to jars and canned in a hot-water bath or should be transferred to zip-top freezer bags and frozen.
- Some can be refrigerated for use within 2-3 weeks.
- To can, return relish to a low boil, pour into clean, hot 1-pint jar to within 1/2 of the top.
- Run a plastic knife or spatula between relish and jar to release any air bubbles.
- Clean rim and threads of the jar with damp cloth.
- Seal with a new, scalded, very hot lid, and a threaded ring.
- Repeat with remaining jars.
- Transfer to gently simmering (200-210 degrees F) water bath, bring to a boil, and process for 15 minutes.
- Remove jars from ater bath, turn upside down on a rack or kitchen towel, and let cool completely.
- Test for seal.
- Store in cool dry place until ready to use.