Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
from bon appetit, this makes a lovely side dish to fish or poultry
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red peppers
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, crushed
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- melt butter in a saute pan.
- add peppers and onions, saute until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- add rice, stir to coat.
- add broth, salt, pepper and saffron, bring to boil.
- cover reduce to simmer and cook 15-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- stir in cheese, and chives, serve.
This was a very tasty side dish to baked fish & broccoli! I used long grain white rice (all that I had) and I put everything into my steamer at step 4. Thanx Chia!
This does indeed make a tasty side dish, and a pretty one to boot.
I've made this before and we do like it. Since we are not majot cheese eaters, I leave out the cheese and chives. I also use Maggi Veg. Broth with onions as a substitute for chicken stock. I do cut down on the fat(we use Sunflower cooking oil instead of butter). Garnished with fresh parsley, this makes a pretty pilaf!