Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
From "A Crowd Pleaser", Good Food Magazine, December 1986. Served cold with some savory crackers, this is an elegant addition to your cocktail party buffet table. Preparation time does not include chilling time. This can be made ahead and chilled overnight, which leaves you time on the day of the party to prepare your hot hors d'oeuvres.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch strips (about 1-3/4 lbs.)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh basil (to garnish)
- Melt butter in skillet over low heat. Add bell peppers and garlic; cook covered until tender, about 10 minutes. Process with basil in food processor until smooth.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the water in small saucepan; let soften 5 minutes. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until completely dissolved.
- Combine bell pepper puree, gelatin, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in large bowl; let cool to room temperature. Whip cream until stiff. Gently fold into bell pepper mixture.
- Spoon into lightly oiled 4-cup mold. Cover with plastic wrap; chill until firm, 4 hours or overnight.
- Uncover mousse; invert onto serving platter. Gently lift off mold. Garnish with fresh basil. Serve cold with crackers.