Recipe by ellie_
Recipe posted per request for recipes using peppers. Although I haven't made this jelly -- I think this would make a nice addition to holiday baskets or gifts. It uses summer garden peppers (both sweet and hot). Recipe source: Martha Stewart's Entertaining.
Top Review by Riggeroni
Like the previous reviewers, I am too, a first time canner. The directions were easy to follow and the end product great. Waiting for the jelly to set was my only concern. I had to look back in the "Cooking" questions and after reading all the setting up concerns, I relaxed and the jelly did set up. Patience. Have tested it and flavor was great and will make more for gifts. Thank you for the recipe.
- 3 cups sweet red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup hot red chili peppers or 1⁄2 cup hot green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) bottle pectin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan combine peppers with vinegar over med low heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain juice through jelly bag. DO NOT SQUEEZE BAG.
- Put juice back into saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add salt and sugar to pan and bring back to a full boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in pectin and skim off foam.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars and seal with screw on caps.