Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Posted in response to a request for this recipe from the April '05 issue of Southern Living magazine.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup jarred roasted red pepper, drained
- 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- fresh flat-leaf parsley sprig
- Blend first 9 ingredients and add 1/3 c lime juice in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides; add additional lime juice, if necessary, until desired consistency.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Garnish if desired.
I had an opened jar of roasted red peppers and a nearly full can of chick peas, so this was a perfect recipe to use those items in my refrigerator. WOW! This is great hummus! We are having it for Friday night appetizers with veggies and pita chips. Very smooth, very easy, and quick. Great recipe!
I made this in my blender and halved the recipe. I used 2 cloves of garlic, eyed the cumin, and added a touch of cayenne seasoning. It was amazing.
This was good. I probably used a bit less water and lime juice becase it just seemed like too much. I usually use a recipe that calls for roasted red peppers and feta cheese well I was out of feta so I thought I would try this. I think next time I might add a bit more cumin, but I love cumin. Good stuff, thanks for posting.