1/1 Photo of Red-Pepper Fennel Soup With Pita Chips
From Every Day with Rachael Ray. September 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 roasted red peppers, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 leek, thinly sliced crosswise (white part only)
- 1 small fennel bulb, with fronds, bulb finely chopped and fronds chopped for garnish
- 1 (1/2 lb) potato, peeled halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 pita bread, split and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°. Reserve 4 strips of roasted red pepper and set aside. In a medium pot, place 4 tablespoons melted butter over medium heat.
- 2Add the leek and chopped fennel bulb and cook until lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the remaining roasted red peppers, the potato, broth, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
- 4Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, place the pitas on a baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle with some of the fennel fronds and salt; toast in the oven, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- 6Using an immersion or standing blender, working in batches if necessary, blend the potato mixture until smooth.
- 7If desired, place a sieve over a large pot and strain the soup. Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
- 8Serve the soup hot or cold with the pita chips. Dollop with sour cream, if desired, and top with the reserved roasted red pepper strips and more fennel fronds.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red-Pepper Fennel Soup With Pita Chips
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.9
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 86.5 mg
- Sodium 732.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers