Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Crostini are easy to make and are delicious appetizers.
- 1 loaf ciabatta or 1 loaf true French bread, preferably 2 days old
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- sea salt
- black pepper
- To make the crostini, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Thinly slice the bread; if a large loaf, cut each piece into quarters and drizzle olive oil over both sides.
- Lightly toast in the oven until just crisp.
- If you wish to speed up the process, toast each side under the broiler.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the peppers and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season with a few grinds of sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the capers and vinegar and simmer gently for a few minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Add the parsley just before spreading onto crostini.