Recipe by Geema
Serve this sweet and spicy sauce on a simple burger or grilled fish or chicken and turn it into something special. We love it on vegetarian burgers and cornmeal crusted eggplant cutlets.
Top Review by rsarahl
Flavorful, colorful and easy! I was skeptical about using so much olive oil, but the sauce is not oily at all. I did zip the sauce through the blender because my DH prefers smooth sauces... the resulting sauce was a vibrant orangy red puree with flecks of green basil. I used about 2 tablespoons of the sauce over each grilled chicken breast and garnished them with sprigs of fresh basil. A keeper!
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 sweet red peppers, cored,seeded and cut into dice
- 12 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 16 whole basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sweet red peppers and garlic and saute for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the vinegar and sugar.
- Add the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 15 more minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and basil; simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Serve hot.