Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Bits of sweet red pepper make these muffins so pretty and the buttermilk adds flavour without fat. You can substitute jarred pimiento or roasted red pepper if you like but drain them well and pat dry. Adapted from Gourmet magazine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Generously butter muffin tin -- 12 muffin regular size.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in a medium bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture and red peppers to the flour mixture and stir until just combined; do not overmix.
- Place about 1/3 cup mixture into each of 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Carefully remove muffins from tin to a wire rack to cool.
Very nice, and went great with black bean soup for an easy dinner.
Loved the flavor,will make again thanks.
VERY TASTY! I luv the addition of the red bell pepper in this recipe. It makes the cornbread even moister and adds a nice fresh taste to it. I made half the recipe, but used the full amount of red pepper and ended up with 8 nicely sized muffins. They have a great texture, moist inside and crunchy outside and are full of flavour! Definitely a make again kind of recipe for me! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us, Cooking Jo!