1 hr 45 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. Comfort food meets southwest fusion in this show stopping, easy-to-prepare main dish. Ground beef, roasted corn, black beans, Monterrey Jack Cheese and roasted bell pepper pesto adentro (inside) a sweet corn cake crust. Garnished with a touch of corn, red bell pepper pesto and cilantro, it looks like you have slaved ...and tastes devine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 ears fresh corn on the cob
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup roasted red pepper pesto
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese red pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- nonstick cooking spray
- olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Soak corn, in shucks, in salt water while oven heats. Place corn on rack and cook for 20 minutes. (Or you can microwave, per your microwave's instructions for whole ears of corn.) Let corn cool, so you can remove shucks. Meanwhile, heat up oven to broil. Rub whole red bell peppers with olive oil, place on a pan lined with foil and cook under the broiler, turning frequently until skin blisters (it may char, but that is OK). When the peppers are blistered, remove from oven and wrap loosely in foil, until skins slip off easily (10 minutes, or so).
- 2When corn is shucked, rub lightly with olive oil and place under the broiler, or over an open fire to gently "roast" the kernels to a light brown. Cool corn again and cut off kernels (place a clean towel on a cutting board, hold the cob vertically and cut down, the towel will keep corn from scattering everywhere). Peel red bell peppers, discard the tough thin film, the seeds and the stems. Process peppers and juices in food processor with pine nuts, garlic, olive oil and chinese hot sauce, until it is smooth. (all of this may be done ahead of time, if you are entertaining and would rather just warm these two ingredients up, to assemble).
- 3Preheat oven to 350.
- 4Brown ground beef and drain. Meanwhile drain black beans.
- 5Grate cheese, or you can use pre-grated.
- 6Line bowls or extra large muffin tins (1 1/4 - 11/2 cup size) with foil and spray with non-stick spray. (failure to do this step will make the cake fall apart).
- 7MIx corn (except about 1/3 cup, retained for garnish), beef, black beans and cheese in a bowl and stir until it is a consistent mxture.
- 8MIx corn muffin mix and cream style corn in a bowl. Let it stand for a few minutes.
- 9Spread a very thin coat of cornbread mix onto the bottom and sides of each bowl, retaining enough for a thin coat on top. (the back of a spoon spreads the mixture pretty evenly, spray with non-stick spray, or wet spoon, if needed).
- 10In the "well" of each bowl, add a Tablespoon of the red bell pepper pesto. Firmly, fill remaining space with the beef mixture. Top with remaining cornbread mixture. Bake at 350, 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for a few minutes. While cooling, warm remaining pesto, place in a ziplock bag. Invert cake onto a plate, Clip a tiny corner of the ziplock bag, containing pesto, and drizzle over the cake. Sprinkle remaining kernels of corn over top and garnish with fresh sprigs of cilantro. Enjoy!
- 11Extra cakes can wrapped in a little more foil, be refrigerated and used later.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Pepper Corn Con Carne Cake #RSC
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.3
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 63.2 mg
- Sodium 1028.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 27.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red pepper pesto