Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from TOH. This looks so unusual. I love having soup on rainy fall evenings and this looks like one that is perfect for that. I will probably used jarred roasted red peppers and skip the first step. I bet this would freeze well too.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 lb carrot, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Broil red pepper 4 inches from heat until skin is blistered; about 6 minutes. Rotate 1/4 turn and broil until all sides are blistered.
- Place in a bowl, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Peel and discard charred skin. Remove stem and seeds and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the carrots, onion and rice in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, water, orange juice, dill, orange zest, salt, herbs and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until carrot and rice are tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Puree with a stick blender (or in batches in the blender). Serve hot.
Wow is this great! Would recommend adding the orange juice and zest gradually to achieve a taste that appeals to you. Was a bit overpowering the first time I tried this recipe. Scaled it back and it was perfect (for us). Also added a few TBs sugar. Wanted a cream soup and adding heavy cream to the finished product was wonderful. Simmered it longer so it was reduced by half (approx 1 hr). Took it to my nursing job and had to print the recipe for several co-workers. Will be posting a picture. A really unique and TASTY soup--try it, you'll be glad you did!! THANKS FOR POSTING!
This is fabulous! I used olive oil instead of butter & vegetable stock so it was vegan! I also cheated a smidge & used jarred roasted red peppers (make sure they're in water not vinegar)Wonderfully velvety texture. Made for ZWT3 A-Waltzing Matilda Challenge.