Prep 72 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This recipe make one pound of brined pork belly. Recipe From Alton Brown.
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 medium jalapeno, split
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 gallon water
- 1 lb pork belly
- In a large saucepot, bring the first six ingredients to a simmer.
- Cook until all of the solids are dissolved.
- Add water and submerge pork belly.
- Remove from the heat and place in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- After three days have passed, remove the pork from the brine, rinse the belly, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Lay on a rack over a sheet pan and place in front of a fan for 1 hour to form a pellicle.
- Lay the pork in the protein box of a cold smoker and smoke for 4 to 6 hours.
- Chill the meat in the freezer for 1 hour to stiffen for easy slicing into strips of bacon.
- Slice what you need and keep the remainder in a freezer safe bag in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Place the strips of bacon onto a sheet pan fitted with a rack and place into a cold oven.
- Turn the oven to 400 degrees and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your bacon.
- Remove from rack and drain on paper towels.