Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
the recipe depends on the combination of the peppery watercress with the sweet red pepper if you sub it might not work.
- 3 red peppers
- 6 ounces watercress
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup blanched almond, toasted and chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375F and place the peppers under an hot broiler until blistered and charred. Place in paper bag. When cool enough to handle, peel , seed and pat dry with paper towels. Do not rush this step.
- Place peppers and watercress in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Spoon into bowl.
- Mix in the ricotta and almonds and season to taste.
- Work with 1 sheet of phyllo at a time. Cut out 2 X 7 inch and 2 X 2 inch squares for each sheet.
- Brush large squares with a little oil and place second large square at a 90 degree angle over to form star shape.
- Place on of the small squares in the center of this. Brush lightly with oil and top with second square.
- Top with 1/8th of the pepper mix.
- Bring edges together to form a purse shape and twist to seal. Place onlightly greased cookie sheet and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Make sure you keep the sheets you are not working with under a damp towel.
I thought 1/4 cup almonds was too much. otherwise, it was great.