Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you are looking for a vegetarian lasagna recipe, or simply want to update the Italian classic, try this easy pepper and spinach version. I can't tell you just how terrific this veggie lasagna is – tender pepper and fresh spinach smothered in oozing cheese.
- 5 red peppers, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 5 ounces fresh lasagna noodles, prepared according to packet instructions
- 10 ounces mozzarella cheese, thickly sliced
For the bechamel sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 1⁄2 ounces flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Place the peppers in a roasting tin and drizzle with the oil and balsamic vinegar. Roast for 20 minutes, add the garlic and roast for a further 10 minutes until the peppers are softened and charred.
- Meanwhile, wilt the spinach in a large pan with a splash of water for 2 minutes only. Season well and set aside.
- To make the sauce, heat the milk with the bay leaf to just below boiling point and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan, add the flour and cook, stirring all the time, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking well, and bring to the boil until thickened. Stir in the mustard and half of the Parmesan.
- To layer up the lasagna, spoon a third of the sauce into the base of an ovenproof dish. Scatter over half of the peppers, half of the spinach and half of the mozzarella. Top with a layer of lasagna. Repeat this process, finishing with the final third of the sauce. Scatter over the remaining Parmesan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
We love this -- great for leftovers, too. I use jarred roasted red peppers soaked for a bit in balsamic - mmm!
wonderful recipe! absolutely delicious! sure is a winner!!