Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Sweet red bell peppers are simmered with garlic, ginger, sugar and orange juice and zest to create a slightly sweet condiment with a bite to it! This is great with grilled chicken or beef, lamb, on a sandwich[try this topped with a fried egg on multi- grain bread], in a potato, or with game. Try to always have some on hand-it's addictive. From The New Basics Cookbook.
- 12 medium red bell peppers (about 3 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced (about 10 cloves)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh ginger, coarsely grated
- 3 medium oranges, zest of, grated
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Core and seed the peppers, and cut into 1/4" wide lengthwise strips(you should get about 12 cups).
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy flameproof casserole dish. Add garlic and ginger, and cook over low heat for about 3 minutes. Add the peppers, and stir well to coat.
- Mix in the orange zest, juice, sugar, and pepper. Stir gently and cover. Cook over medium-low heat,stirring occasionally, until the peppers are wilted and their skins are soft, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the cover and keep cooking over low heat, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 hours.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. This keeps, covered tightly, in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Sharon this stuff is addicting, it is so good! I made exactly ad stated only I reduced the fresh ginger to 1/4 cup, my DH is not a real ginger lover and I was worried that it would be too much for him, the 1/4 cup worked out fine though. Thanks for a great recipe, I plan to make again soon!...Kitten:)