Recipe by Souxie
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. A local tavern has a delicious grilled meatloaf on their menu, I added some ingredients that my family prefers and came up with this delicious version of this great comfort food. It's become a family favorite!
- 1 lb bacon, divided (not thick cut)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 (1 7/8 ounce) package dry onion soup mix (use 1 envelope)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 0.5 (10 7/8 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup French-fried onions
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into 1-inchX3-inch strips
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13"X9" baking pan with Reynolds Aluminum Foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray, or use Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. Set aside.
- In an 8" non-stick skillet, cook 4 slices of the bacon until just crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and let drain and cool. In same pan with the bacon drippings, saute the red bell pepper, onion and parsley flakes for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, dry soup mix, water, golden mushroom soup, French fried onions and crumbled bacon. Mix well with hands and form into a "football" shape. Place in prepared baking pan. Make a deep well in center of meatloaf, being careful not to break through the bottom. Carefully layer the cheese strips along length of meatloaf. Spoon red pepper/onion mixture over top of cheese. Carefully work meatloaf up and over filling. (It's ok if filling is not covered completely) Use remaining uncooked sliced bacon to "wrap" meatloaf, covering all exposed meatloaf with bacon in a diagonal pattern.
- Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meatloaf and bacon is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.