For a tasty snack or starter try this flavorful pan-fried couscous cake, flavoured with roasted peppers and cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 1/2 ounces couscous
- 1 7/8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lime, juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 ounces red peppers, from a jar drained and cut into 1/2in wide strips
- 7 ounces Fontina cheese, diced (or any other good melting cheese)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons chives, snipped
- 1Put the couscous into a large heatproof bowl. Stir together the vegetable broth, lime juice and a good grinding of black pepper, then pour over the couscous. Leave for 15 minutes until all the broth has been absorbed.
- 2Heat a splash of the olive oil in a 9in non-stick frying pan. Stir the red pepper strips, cheese, egg and chives into the couscous, then tip into the pan and pat down well into a cake.
- 3Cook over a gentle heat for 15 minutes, without touching, until the base is crisp and golden.
- 4Carefully slide the couscous cake on to a plate, then invert back into the pan, adding the rest of the oil if needed. Cook for a further 10 minutes or so until the other side is golden.
- 5Slide back on to the plate and cut into wedges to serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Pepper and Cheese Couscous Cake
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.6
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 73.6 mg
- Sodium 282.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: