Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
these crispy bean cakes are divine when stuffed in a salad filled pitta and drenched in lemon mayo
- 75 g green beans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 425 g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 75 g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg yolk
- plain flour, for dusting
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Boil the green beans for 3 mins until cooked but still crunchy, drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the pepper, garlic and chilli powder for 2 minutes.
- Place the pepper mix in a food processor and add the kidney beans, egg yolk and breadcrumbs. Blend until coarsely chopped and add the green beans and seasoning if desired. Blend until mixture comes together.
- Divide the mixture into 8 and using floured hands shape the mix into patties.
- heat the oil and fry the cakes for about 3 mins each side, remove and drain.
- Make the mayo by mixing all the ingredients and serve with the hot patties.