Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lighter, more diet friendly version of an old favorite. For submission to the Ready, Set, Cook #3 contest.
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1⁄4 cup sweet corn
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced fine,divided in half
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced fine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- breadcrumbs, enough to bind
- salt and pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/4 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced fine
- 1⁄2 cup button mushroom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (to cut acidity)
- 1 lb penne
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese (or parmesan if you would like)
- Put chicken in a large bowl.
- Add salt and pepper.
- With your hands, mix in all other ingredients and form into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Brown balls in a tiny bit of oil.
- --ForRed Penne--.
- Saute onion, garlic, red and green peppers,mushrooms and red pepper flakes in the olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato sauce and tomatoes; simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add basil, salt and pepper to taste and sugar (if needed).
- Add browned meatballs and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook and drain penne according to package directions.
- Toss penne with sauce,meatballs and asiago cheese and serve on warm plates with a side of garlic bread.
This dish was fairly easy to prepare, and it was nice to have a dish that was lighter and healthier. The meatballs were very moist, tender and flavorful, without an overwhelming sense of vegetables. The sauce was very flavorful and tomato-ey and went well with the meatballs to make a nice pasta dish. Good luck in the contest!
Not only is this the first recipe that I have tried from the contest, it is also the first recipe that I have tried from this website. If this recipe is an indication of what is in store, I will be coming back for a long time! The meatballs were interesting and the sauce was very tasty. The garlic bread was a great suggestion! DustyOne
The kids loved it and I love that it has veggies right in the meatballs. I did add some parmesan cheese to the meatball and after browning it I added them to bottled sauce and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Delicious!