A lighter, more diet friendly version of an old favorite. For submission to the Ready, Set, Cook #3 contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced fine,divided in half
- 1/2 large onion, diced fine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- breadcrumbs, enough to bind
- salt and pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/4 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced fine
- 1/2 cup button mushroom
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (to cut acidity)
- 1 lb penne
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese (or parmesan if you would like)
- 2Put chicken in a large bowl.
- 3Add salt and pepper.
- 4With your hands, mix in all other ingredients and form into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- 5Brown balls in a tiny bit of oil.
- 6--ForRed Penne--.
- 7Saute onion, garlic, red and green peppers,mushrooms and red pepper flakes in the olive oil until onions are translucent.
- 8Add tomato sauce and tomatoes; simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- 9Add basil, salt and pepper to taste and sugar (if needed).
- 10Add browned meatballs and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 11Cook and drain penne according to package directions.
- 12Toss penne with sauce,meatballs and asiago cheese and serve on warm plates with a side of garlic bread.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Penne with Garden Veggie Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.7
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 144.0 mg
- Sodium 1379.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.7 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 34.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: