Recipe by Cynna
A wonderful brunch offering! This quiche is made without cheese and has a variety of mushrooms for added interest. Simply delicious, we are in love with this breakfast fare. This dish does take a while to make, but very much worth the work. High return on compliments and flavor! You may wish to add cheese, it's very good that way too.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl.
- Add the butter and cut it into the flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Beat the egg yolk with the water in small bowl.
- Sprinkle liquid onto flour mixture and combine with your fingertips.
- Form dough into a ball.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease pie or quiche pan with butter.
- Roll out dough on floured surface and then line the pan.
- Prick bottom with fork and chill for 30 minutes.
- Line with foil and dried beans and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and beans and cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy bottomed skillet.
- Add the onions, cover and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and thyme and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stir often.
- Spoon mixture into cooled tart shell and place the pan on a cookie sheet.
- Lightly beat the egg with the egg yolks and cream ans season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over mushroom filling and bake for 20 minutes or until the filling is set and golden.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.