Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love to order salad with red onion when we eat out, but the red onions I buy at the store are never as sweet and mild. That prompted me to come up with this recipe where the onion marinates in the dressing to calm it down a bit. :lol:
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 pinches fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 red onion, sliced thinly (optional)
- MAKE AHEAD: Mix all ingredients except onion in a jar and shake, then add onion, stir and store in fridge.
- OPTIONAL: If you prefer, you can saute the onion slightly before mixing up the salad dressing.
- WHEN NEEDED: Either take out of fridge an hour ahead or place in microwave for 10 seconds to loosen up.
- TO SERVE: Stir dressing, then with a slotted spoon, scoop out some of the onion and place on the salad. Seems like that carries along with it enough dressing for tossing the salad. Amount of onions scooped will depend on the size of the salad.
- LATER: If all the onion gets used up before the dressing is gone, just add more onion and cheese.