1/1 Photo of Red Onion & Sage Focaccia (bread Machine)
2 hrs 20 mins
This comes from a great cookbook I've had for awhile, "Bread Machine, how to cook and prepare the perfect loaf" by Jennifer Shapter. This was the best focaccia I've ever had, and I can't wait to make it again. It tastes great with some lightly salted & peppered olive oil. NOTE: I used dried sage, and it came out just fine. Preparation time is the time it takes in the bread machine, plus rising time, plus time for prepping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Bread
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fast-rising active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
For the Topping
- 1Pour the water and oil into the bread pan.
- 2Reverse the order in which you add the wet and dry ingredients if necessary.
- 3Sprinkle the flour over, ensuring that it covers the liquid.
- 4Add the salt and sugar in separate corners.
- 5Make a shallow indentation in the flour and add the yeast.
- 6Set the bread machine to the dough setting.
- 7If our machine has a choice of settings, use the basic or pizza dough setting.
- 8Press Start.
- 9Lightly oil a 10-11 inch shallow round cake pan or pizza pan.
- 10When the cycle has finished, remove the dough from the pan and place it on a surface lightly dusted with flour.
- 11Punch the dough down and flatten it slightly.
- 12Sprinkle over the sage and red onion and knead it gently to incorporate.
- 13Shape the dough into a ball, flatten it, then roll it into a round of about 10-11 inches.
- 14Place in the prepared pan.
- 15Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- 16Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F Uncover the risen focaccia, and using your fingertips, poke the dough to make deep dimples over the surface.
- 17Cover and let rise for 10-15 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in bulk.
- 18Drizzle the olive oil over and sprinkle with the onion, sage leaves, sea salt and black pepper.
- 19Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
- 20Turn out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
- 21Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Onion & Sage Focaccia (bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (751 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1810.5
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5838.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 302.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 44.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves