Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious warming soup, this recipe is easy to make and only uses one pan!
- 3 cups red wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 red onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the bruschetta
- 4 slices country bread
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pan heat the red wine, bring to the boil, lower the heat and reduce by half. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth and a few sprigs of thyme. Stir and leave to one side.
- In a hot pan melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the red onions and garlic and cook gently over a medium heat until the onions are sweet and tender - this will take at least half an hour. Stir occasionally.
- Add the reduced wine mixture to the onions and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make the bruschetta:.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the bread.
- Sprinkle with a liberal layer of grated parmesan and mozzarella and place under the broiler to brown.