Red Onion, Red Wine Soup With Parmesan Bruschetta
- In a large pan heat the red wine, bring to the boil, lower the heat and reduce by half. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth and a few sprigs of thyme. Stir and leave to one side.
- In a hot pan melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the red onions and garlic and cook gently over a medium heat until the onions are sweet and tender - this will take at least half an hour. Stir occasionally.
- Add the reduced wine mixture to the onions and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make the bruschetta:.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the bread.
- Sprinkle with a liberal layer of grated parmesan and mozzarella and place under the broiler to brown.