Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sweet and sour relish (some would call it a confit) is great with any roasted meat, with cold cuts, or on sandwiches, burgers or hot dogs
- 4 large red onions, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Combine all the ingredients in a non-reactive pot and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring often, until the mixture is thick and has the consistency of marmalade, about 30 minutes.
- Cool and store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- Makes about 2 cups.
This looks and tastes great. Just the right amount of sweetness to sour and a lovely red colour. It was really easy to make too. I probably simmered for about an hour but I had it turned down really low as I was busy at the time so couldn't do the "stir often". I didn't want to burn it. It still worked well. I had some on a cold meat sandwich. Yum!