Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very good on cream cheese with crackers. It is great on Roasted Chicken and other meats. My daughter made it for gifts last christmas, everyone really enjoyed it. I'm making some this year.
- 3 cups red onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- Peel, quarter and thinly slice red onions.
- Measure 3 cups into a 6-or-8-quart sauce pot.
- Stir in apple juice, vinegar, sage and pepper.
- Measure sugars in a separate bowl.
- Stir fruit pectin into onion mixture in sauce pot.
- Add butter.
- Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Quickly stir in sugars.
- Return to a full rolling boil and boil exactly 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- Ladle quickly into hot, sterilized half pint jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
- Wipe jar rims and threads.
- Cover with lids.
- Screw bands tightly.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 5 Minutes.
I love this jelly! Next time I make this, I will put the onions in the blender or food processor so they don't float to the top. I sauteed some chicken the other night and dumped in a jar of this jelly and simmered for about 20 minutes. Served over rice. Fantastic!
I make this recipe all the time! It is WONDERFUL!!!!! Funny to see peoples faces when they find out it is red onion jelly..I don't tell them until AFTER they try it. Have not found one person as of yet that does not like this jelly. Great for Christmas gifts given with a roll of ritz crackers.
I made this yesterday using 1/2 onions and 1/2 jalapenos. It is SO GOOD!