Recipe by Barb G.
This is a very good on cream cheese with crackers. It is great on Roasted Chicken and other meats. My daughter made it for gifts last christmas, everyone really enjoyed it. I'm making some this year.
Top Review by Soapy QtrNote
I love this jelly! Next time I make this, I will put the onions in the blender or food processor so they don't float to the top. I sauteed some chicken the other night and dumped in a jar of this jelly and simmered for about 20 minutes. Served over rice. Fantastic!
- 3 cups red onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, quarter and thinly slice red onions.
- Measure 3 cups into a 6-or-8-quart sauce pot.
- Stir in apple juice, vinegar, sage and pepper.
- Measure sugars in a separate bowl.
- Stir fruit pectin into onion mixture in sauce pot.
- Add butter.
- Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Quickly stir in sugars.
- Return to a full rolling boil and boil exactly 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- Ladle quickly into hot, sterilized half pint jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
- Wipe jar rims and threads.
- Cover with lids.
- Screw bands tightly.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 5 Minutes.